Thursday, February 8, 2007

SUNSETS

I’ve always been a sucker for a good sunset. I suppose pretty much everybody is. It’s one of the stock images of human contentment, even though there are some miserabilists who consider it a bit hackneyed or kitschy. Probably my own enthusiasm has a lot to do with the fact that I grew up in the 1960s and am thus a hopeless romantic idealist. Plus I spent my formative years in a small village in the middle of nowhere in the days when TV, if it existed at all, was in black’n’white, and we depended on things like fires and sunsets for colour in our little rustic lives.

I’ve also had the good fortune to spend various stages of my life in places which are in the west and near water, which is a big boost to us sunset fans. Liverpool, where I spent not only a good few but more than a few good years, is a great place for them; it’s that combination of a coastal setting, a westward vista, and the Gulf Stream, or so people tell me. Izmir, on the west coast of Turkey, is another big port where I hung my hat for a while, and I have many happy memories of sitting outside my favourite watering-hole on the seafront there, a nice cool Efes beer and a plate of meze (toothsome snacks that are just fine and dandy when consumed together with said cool Efes beer) to hand, gazing dreamily out across the bay as the evening breeze brought merciful relief after a baking hot day.


But surely the most spectacular sunsets of my life were when I lived in El Geteina, a town on the east bank of the White Nile in Sudan; I used to go down to the river, which is very wide there, and watch this enormous red African sun falling into the water so fast you could actually see it moving. Because it’s equatorial, the difference between the times it set in the summer and winter wasn’t that great, which was weird and wonderful for a European who was used to the huge differences we get here.


Not that I’m complaining. Here in Central Europe (not Eastern – calling this country Eastern Europe is up there with dissing their beer as a really effective way of upsetting Czechs in record time) we are blessed with some splendid examples, too. They can be a bit watery in winter, but in summer they can be pretty spectacular, and on a nice evening there is nothing that my plague of mosquitoes and I like quite so much as sitting in my garden and watching the sun go down over the forest.

4 comments:

Silvana said...

I really appretiated having a look at your blogs. Sunset photos are something I reaaly treasure especially thosefrom landscapes such as the beach. Very nice blog!!!

testecarla said...

Dear Simon,

Blogging can be addictive for the ones writing it, as well as for the audience! I just love to read your vivid descriptions...I know I'm so repetitive, but I feel as if I were there with you...

Let me tell you that Brasilia, my city, is well-known for having a spectacular sunset, and Key West, where I'm living now, has one that really touches me. Everybody goes to a place called Mallory Square to see the sun going down with all its nuances of orange-red, over the Caribbean sea. Amazing! Soon I'll publish the photos on my blog.

Hope to hear much more from you.

You certainly got the idea on how to organize your photos! Another idea is to have a slideshow with some of them altogether. Maybe you could check Bubbleshare, Picture Trail, or Flickr. If you need help, let me know.

Beijos,
Carla

Gladys Baya said...

Great blog, Simon! Made me feel like stopping working at the computer and rushing to enjoy the sunset (just behind my window now... :-(!). But it's time to meet the Blogging for Beginners community at Alado, so I'll put it off, I guess...

Some time ago I took a course on the use of images in teaching. How they can support text, you know... My teacher would have thought your blog PERFECT!

Way to go!

Gladys

Monika said...

This post is so rich in images, visual and verbal, that take me back to my childhood... One of my favourite books was an atlas book, and the section I enjoyed the most was than on Central Europe. I would spend long afternoons looking at the pics and making up stories.
I´ll keep on coming for inspiration.

Cheers,

Monika